Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Help me find a new suitor!!!!

So my search for supporting evidence for my research topic on organic food is getting very tiresome. Not a single viable fact or support is available. This is getting more difficult than trying to find Osama Bin Laden or finding the mystical city of El Dorado. I am pretty much ditching that topic and finding a new topic. Call it the “jilted lover” syndrome. “I have put in my time and effort into you organic food topic and you don’t return any love back to me?! Well then I will find someone new!”

Some of the topics are as followed. Call it my “Research Topic Blind Dates”. I don’t know too much about them but I know just enough and want to choose the one that best suits me. So the nominees are….

1) The benefits of using astragalas. This is an herb that has been used in Chinese medicine for many years and now it is being used in tea mixtures in the US. The effects are that it helps fight of colds, helps the lung’s function with respiration and is used as an overall tonic. Why did I pick this? Well I will tell you why. In our last seminar, our instructor was sick with a cold and she had mentioned that she was drinking a tea with zinc and astragalus. I remember hearing that name but only knew it in the Chinese name of Huang Qi. I had used this herb not only on myself but to other patients as well and it does a pretty good job, I must say….

2) How Tai Chi helps alleviate pain in the elderly. For those who don’t know, Tai Chi is a form of exercise when the emphasis of the movements are done very, very slowly and is mostly done by older people. The philosophy is based on Chinese medicine and focuses not only on the movements but also breathing as well. The types of movement are similar to the ones you see in Kung Fu or Karate but you’re not breaking anything with your hands or head. I have read before that Tai Chi is now being offered in nursing homes and at out-patient physical therapy facilities because, studies showed, that it helped alleviate a lot of arthritic conditions. I have tried it before a numerous times and it’s a great form of exercise. At first, it is awkward but the movements do help you with concentrate mentally and strengthens your joints as well.


3) How hand-eye coordination activities can delay the effects of Parkinson’s disease. Parkinson’s disease is a degenerative disease of the brain associated with age or head traumas. I am a boxing fan and, right now, the best trainer/ coach is Freddie Roach. This guy just produces champions in the ring. He was a professional fighter when he was younger and had taken way too many head shots. He has Parkinson’s disease. While he does show some symptoms like head ticks and severe pains in the necks, his doctor’s are saying that his disease is progressing a lot slower than the average patient. While I do not know the exact extent and for how long Mr. Roach has had this condition, his doctor’s attribute that because he is in the boxing ring daily training his fighters using punching pads, his hand-eye coordination is off the charts. He is in the ring training guys 8 hours or more a day. His doctor’s think that since he is constantly using his hands and eyes in punching combination drills, this helps his brain get more exercise and this helps delay the degeneration of the disease.

So those are my choices right now. Please let me know on which one you think would be suitable or the most interesting one. Remember, I have to devote my time and effort into this relationship for the next 8 weeks now and I want it to end in a happy union rather than a frustrating one.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John I think The Parkinsons disease would be my vote for being the most interesting for me to read about. Is that also the same disease the Ali has?

    ReplyDelete