Sunday, November 8, 2009

If I caught someone using my stuff without my permission...

This is an interesting question: What would I do if I caught someone using my work without my permission? Like anybody out there who was a victim of theft, I would begin to cry like a little school girl who got teased by a boy at the playground. Ok maybe not that extreme but I would first wonder the "why's". "Why would you steal?" or "Why can't you just give me the credit when it was due?" or"Why the F@%#%# did you steal my work?!" The obvious thing to do is to hire an attorney and make try to make a "case of the century" on plagarism and request a ridiculous monetary compensation. But I think that would take too much time and effort and also, I would end up paying for the legal bills. I can go through the thug route and find out where the the criminal lived and just beat him up. But then I would end up getting arrested and pay the legal fees. This is a tough question to answer.

On one hand it isn't a physical theft. It's not an item where a person needs it to physically live. For example, a while back I was waiting outside at a supermarket and saw this homeless man stealing a big jug (not a bottle) of vodka with the alarms going off. I immediately notified the security guard. Why? Because he was stealing liquor. Does he need a jug of vodka to survive? No. If he was stealing food, I probably wouldn't have ratted him out because he needed that food to live and he was hungry. When someone steals my work especially in print, it's more of an intellectual theft, the stealing of my thoughts and ideas. I guess I would end up asking them why they did it and suing them. That seems like the logical thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment